top of page

tell us what you are looking to do...

Top 5 retargeting tactics

You know when you’re online and all of a sudden you start seeing ads based on something you were just looking at or searching for?

That’s retargeting.

Whether you find it creepy or helpful, it works. (Interesting fact: While the majority of online shoppers (60%) remain neutral about seeing retargeted ads, 25% enjoy them because they are reminded of products and services they were looking at previously).

According to AdRoll, in general, only 2% of shoppers convert on the first visit to an online store. The goal of retargeting is to bring back the other 98%. Don’t miss out on these prospective customers!

Here’s a brief overview of how it works: Retargeting specifically targets visitors who have clicked away from your website before converting. Cookie-based technology (or lists) allow you to develop ad campaigns that follow and stay in front of previous site visitors.

Here are 5 tips to get the most out of your retargeting efforts:

It’s all about the right message, at the right time, to the right audience: Make sure your creative/messaging conveys a clear message that aligns with where your customers are at in the purchase journey.

Rotate your ad campaigns. This allows you to test, iterate, and optimize your messaging for ultimate performance (and conversions).

Avoid ad burnout. Put a cap on the number of times your targeted audience sees your ads. Consider this: there’s a “rule of 7”. It takes 7 times for a consumer to see your ad before they take action.

Untag customers how have followed through on the conversion. There’s nothing worse than seeing an ad that encourages you to buy something you just purchased.

BUT...don’t stop the conversation! Once your customer has converted, take the opportunity to use retargeting to up-sell or cross-sell them on similar golf products or services.

One final piece of advice (and this is critical): You need to ask your site visitors for permission before you can use a cookie for marketing purposes, and you need that permission first in order to comply with General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) standards. And you need a privacy policy on your site that outlines how you will use the Personally Identifiable Information (PII) that you collect.

You may have noticed these popping up on sites lately:

We use cookies

This website uses cookies for ad personalization and measurement. By continuing to browse the site, you agree to our privacy policy.

Need help with retargeting? Let's chat -



bottom of page